MAKE/MODEL


YEAR


LOGOS

MARKETING

-
CT-TV
DIVIDER_large
Akatuki2 on Twitter
DIVIDER_large
Akatuki2 on Kindle

RSS RSS FEEDS

Subscribe to our web s:

  • Type, Articles, Vehicles

  • Quick Links (i.e. Blog)

  • Car Chat Interviews

 
 

Briton

UK
Filed under:  Companies
 
Comment(s): 0
 
 

Briton Motor Company was located in at 1912 Wolverhampton, UK and lasted from 1909 to 1929.

briton cars logo

Briton Cars logo.

The Briton Motor Company was formed in 1909 after the Star Engineering Company took over the Star Cycle Company and manufacture of the 'Starling' and 'Stuart' cars was ended. They were replaced by Briton cars produced by the Briton Car Company, managed by Edward Lisle Junior, son of Star's founder.

In 1912 the Briton Motor Company (1912) Limited was formed and moved to a new site on lower Walsall street.

In 1917 and 18 only small commercial vehicles and ambulances were produced.

Briton produced 170 cars during 1920, 163 of the 10/12 hp. model and 7 of the 10 hp. model. However the car industry was changing as companies such as Austin and Morris adopted mass production techniques meaning they were able to produce and sell cars at a cost that Briton could not match, putting the company in deep financial trouble.

In December 1920 the Midland Bank took £50,000 worth of Briton's stock as repayment of debts owed to them and the company produced only 65 cars in 1921. In December 1921 the bank appointed receivers for the company and a month later the company entered liquidation, assessed at a value of £30,500. Britons's works were sold to fellow Wolverhampton company AJS in October 1923 for £7,000.

The Briton Motor Company name was carried on by Charles A. Weight who took over what remained of the company. Weight moved the machine shop and components that had been left behind to a new site at Chillington Fields also taking on a number of Briton's old workforce. Car production continued on this site until 1929 when production costs became too great, with around 600 cars having been made in total. The Briton Motor Company continued, becoming Tractor Spares Limited in 1940, a company which still exists today.

(This article is licensed under the . It includes content from this article.)

briton tourer ad 17

1917 Briton Tourer ad, (powered by a 1373 c.c. OHC 4-cylinder engine.) (source: )

 
 
ABOUT EDITORS CONTACT
-
Advertise on Akatuki2
-
-
-
divider
DIVIDER_large
Mototype
-
-

NOTICE

Much of the material on this website is copyrighted. Original articles appearing herein are subject to copyright. Please don't copy stuff from the site without asking; it may belong to someone! Any trademarks appearing on this site are the sole property of the registered owners. No endorsement by trademark owners is to be construed. The products, brand names, characters, related slogans and indicia are or may by claimed as trademarks of their respective owners. Every effort has been made whenever possible to credit the sources. The use of such material falls under the Fair Use provisions of intellectual property laws.